Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Use Your Singing Voice!

Over the years at the Kindermusik of Holland studio there have been children with the most beautiful angelic voices. Some of them stand out in my memory and I remember thinking that the Vienna Boy's Choir from Austria would surely catch wind of them and snatch up these boys! One day one of these little guys made a remark that I've pondered ever since. He seeemed hesitant to sing and I was trying to encourage him. Then he said, "Miss Yvette, I have a girl's voice." I wonder if he saw my shock! How very sad! I said "Oh, J. you can't have a girl's voice! It's YOUR voice and you are a boy. And YOUR voice is very beautiful." I don't believe he was convinced.

Can you imagine at such a young age not loving a part of yourself that is truly a beautiful gift? How did he get the message that his boy soprano voice, so clear and strong, was something to be ashamed of? How many other children out there are struggling with subtle messages about their voices, ......or perhaps their gracefulness in dancing?.... or desire to play the flute?......Where's it written that only girls should have high voices and enjoy them, only girls should play the flute or take ballet? Come on Boys! Check out this macho guy singing with gusto from his toes!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdlM8Q7hC_4 The music he sings is from the Mozart Opera "The Magic Flute" which we talked about in the Young Child 1 class this semester. When this boy grows up his voice will be a man's voice, just like your's, J!

More (all boys):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nrvaKJx5AA&mode=related&search=

Peace and creativity,
Yvette

No comments: