Thursday, July 26, 2007

I think, therefore I am!

I Believe In Music
I believe in music because I am human. I believe our universe resonates with vibrations that inspire us to musical expression. I believe music changes the chemistry of our brain and opens us up for deeper connection of self, community and our world.

I believe our innate musicality is the tool we use to learn our languages as babies. Our ears are sensitive to the melodies and rhythms of what is spoken around us even before we are born. We notice immediately subtle changes in timber, dynamics, accents and style in order to understand more than just the words. It is in order to understand the communication.

I am, therefore I think musically.

Stepping beyond spoken language in singing or wordless music, we go deeper into our human expression. It is powerful during celebrations, worship time, for patriotism and in marketing. Music can calm us, move us to fervor, or bring us to tears and can remain in our memories for our entire life.

I am, therefore I hum and whistle and sing.

It is inarguable that music moves us. I find proof in watching babies when they hear music. One of my favorite Kindermusik memories is of 16 month Ella at her first Kindermusik class. She was a little uneasy, not really knowing if she was to be dropped off or not. She looked at me suspiciously as I tempted her with the egg shakers. As I began singing our “Hello” song still worried and frowning she began the universal toddler dance. She just could not keep herself from dancing.

I am, therefore I sway and dance.

Musical experiences in community bring everyone to a new level of joyful connection. It’s like an electrical charge when our Kindermusik class keeps the beat while playing rhythmic patterns or dances to an accelerando or sings in a round. There’s an intensity of concentration, a joyfulness of unity, and pleasure in sounding and moving together that brings us all, parents and children to revel in each other.

I am, therefore I clap and stomp to the beat.

I think, sing, dance and clap, therefore I am!

No comments: