Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Music is Everywhere, In my head in the air, in my kitchen!

How about your kitchen? Bathtub? Car?.....everywhere! That's where Young Child I students are looking this week. We will make a "found sound concerto" in class today!

In Village and Our Time I often will ask parents to imitate a sound vocally. Imitate your child's vocal explorations (Who's making all that noise?) and imitate sounds you hear in your environment(like the filling of the bath tub). Playing like this with sounds helps children to listen with intent because you are modeling it for them. (For children there's not much more important than what the parents are doing!)and it's affirming their own explorations since ....well, you noticed!!!! Doesn't it feel good to be noticed?

Seeing this little video brought back memories of my dad. He used to ALWAYS vocalize sounds he heard. Not just for little kids...he did it because he loved sounds. He would ask us as we got older "How do you think you would spell that?" It was fun to try to figure out letters for those funny sounds. My dad was a musician and a poet. Is it any wonder why all of his 7 children still love music?

Enjoy exploring with your ears.

Thanks Merri

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yvette,

I began watching this while Joey was playing. He heard me laughing and came running up to share in the joy. Thank YOU for sharing with us, and reaffirming our silly song sessions!

Jen and Joey

Anonymous said...

You're quite welcome, Yvette! I have enjoyed listening to all of his videos, including the new one I just put up on my blog - the "Walking Daddy Blues". :-)