Monday, June 9, 2008

The POWER of a few moms.....

Just over 50 years ago a group of moms met at a picnic and started chatting. These moms each had young babies in common. Through their passionate conversation and connection they were inspired to meet again with the purpose to nurture precious support in their choice to breastfeed their babies. By word of mouth other moms joined the conversation. Soon it was necessary to organize and allow circles of moms all over the world to benefit from the information and support these few women had begun to amass. This is the story of La Leche League.

This story means a lot to me because in the first 10 days or so of nursing my first baby I teetered on the edge of giving up because of soreness. Calling a La Leche League leader saved me! I've attended meetings for over 20 years and have for the past 13 years as a leader been helping moms who are asking the same kinds of questions I asked!

La Leche Leage has been a powerful entity in my forming of my philosophy on parenting and nurturing children in general. Perhaps most poignant was that La Leche League encouraged me to listen to my heart first in everything I do concerning my work with children.

Yesterday, June 8, 2008, Edwina Froehlich, one of the moms in that very first conversation at the picnic in Chicago, passed away at 93 years young. Many La Leche League friends are wearing a pearl necklace in her honor this week. I'll be wearing mine in gratitude for her passion and activism.
LLLove,
Yvette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story of LaLeche League!