Friday, October 12, 2007


Here's a "foundation of learning" (which we educators call "FOL") that I shared this week with families:

Did you know that stimulation of the calf muscle aids in language development? Put you child on the floor in front of you so that you can bicycle her legs. Then flex their feet and have your child just push against your hands as hard as she can. I think they just have fun trying to be as strong as you! But the work is good for their brains as well. It actually aids in the language development of children. Why? Well in my next life I plan to be a cellist and a neuroscientist so I may be better able to explain why but for now I know that I found this information in Carla Hannaford's book Smart Moves, Why Learning Is Not All In Your Head. I can't tell you which page because I've lent out my copy and :-( don't know where it is......



This kind of stimulation of the whole body is why children need to be jumping, running, climbing, twirling, singing and dancing and playing in free, joyful situations. And this is why Kindermusik is such a good investment...your dividends increase exponentially.

Glad you found us.
Yvette

No comments: