Saturday, December 16, 2006

To Honor Beethoven's birthday!

How amazing that Beethoven composed his last and most monumental symphony at a time when he was completely deaf. He never heard a single note of his 9th Symphony (in which the chorus sings the famous "Ode to Joy"). Friends had to turn him around from conducting so that he could see the applause. When I tell this story to my Kindermusik Young Child students they are amazed. Then we do a little experiment. We sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star out loud first then silently. The children's eyes widen as they tell me they COULD hear it inside their head! Here's lot's more about Beethoven for the curious: www.lvbeethoven.com
Happy Birthday to one of my favorite composers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments on Beethoven's Birthday. I'm making a film about the Ninth Symphony, and I thought you might be interested.
Best,

Kerry Candaele
Venice, CA
www.followingtheninth.com

Molly McGinn said...

I love that idea, about asking the kids to close their eyes and hear the song in their heads!