Tuesday, October 2, 2007

My newest favorite quote:

I
f you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

by Antoine de St. Exupery

Imagine a group of people driven by a yearning for the vast and endless sea! Imagine holding them back from building this boat! The passion and energy for the project are unquestionably abundant.

Last week I lamented to friends: Help! How can I help Anne WANT to practice her cello? Here is my answer. The SEA! The SEA! LOVE and yearning for the sea of beautiful cello music.

Teaching one to yearn is where we could get hung up. I don't really know if that can be done! So what do we do?

Model passion. Look for others who live by their passion. Surround yourselves with their modeling. Talk about it passionately. Love the journey.

Antoine de St.Exupery also said: All grown-ups were once children--although few of them remember it.

:-)
Yvette