Wednesday, July 2, 2008

cleaning off my desk

The "perma crud" is pretty amazing! But among the bills, scraps of lists and reminders, photos, love letters from you and your children, and other stuff (some of it unidentifiable) ... that I've kept on top I've also found some thought provoking quotes that I'd written down. The first one has probably been on my desk for 3 years. I love it and I think about all the people who are taking care of children...that we should remind themselves that:

This world is nothing more than Beauty's chance to show Herself.
And what are we?
Nothing more than Beauty's chance to see Herself. For if Beauty were not seeking Herself we would not exist....

Ghalib

These next two quotes are more recently added to the piles on my desk. They are by different people but definitely related. I apply them to parenting and to teaching. I regret the times I was a "monster" to my independent toddlers! But I forgive myself and try to learn through my mistakes.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.

F. Nietzsche

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

Ghandi

Peace,
Yvette

No comments: